Customs and Excise highlights
Please note that this is not intended to be a comprehensive study or list of the amendments, changes and the like in the Customs & Excise environment, but merely selected highlights which may be of interest. In the event that specific advice is required, kindly contact our Customs and Excise specialist, Director, Petr Erasmus.
Below are this week’s selected highlights:
- The Republic of Croatia’s accession to the European Union Protocol of Trade.
- Rebate item 412.10: Value for bona fide unsolicited gifts increased from R400 to R1400. Schedule 1 to the Value-Added Tax Act, No 89 of 1991 has been amended accordingly.
- The Border Management Authority Bill [B9-2016] was tabled in Parliament on 25 May 2016. The aim of the Bill is:
To provide for the establishment, organisation, regulation, functions and control of the Border Management Authority; to provide for the appointment, terms of office, conditions of service and functions of the Commissioner; to provide for the appointment and terms and conditions of employment of officials; to provide for the duties, functions and powers of officers; to provide for the establishment of an Inter-Ministerial Consultative Committee, Border Technical Committee and advisory committees; to provide for delegations; to provide for the review or appeal of decisions of officers; to provide for certain offences and penalties; to provide for the Minister to make regulations with regard to certain matters; and to provide for matters connected therewith.
- Sub-heading 2004.10 in the tariff book relating to potato products has been amended. The terms of the headings are now more descriptive as additional subheadings have been added.
- The wording of item 260.02 of Schedule 2 have been amended relating to frozen potato chips.
- Note 6 to Schedule 6 relating to Diesel Rebates have been amended. Please enquire for additional information.
The information and material published on this website is provided for general purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. We make every effort to ensure that the content is updated regularly and to offer the most current and accurate information. Please consult one of our lawyers on any specific legal problem or matter. We accept no responsibility for any loss or damage, whether direct or consequential, which may arise from reliance on the information contained in these pages. Please refer to our full terms and conditions. Copyright © 2023 Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr. All rights reserved. For permission to reproduce an article or publication, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
We support our clients’ strategic and operational needs by offering innovative, integrated and high quality thought leadership. To stay up to date on the latest legal developments that may potentially impact your business, subscribe to our alerts, seminar and webinar invitations.Subscribe