Our Energy team is recognised as a market leader in South African and the Sub-Saharan Africa energy sectors. The dedicated team of professionals has a significant depth of energy skills, experiences and transaction know-how, and is ideally suited to advise developers, off-takers, government entities, contractors and financiers across the full spectrum of the project chain the South African Renewable Energy Programme and the Coal, Natural Gas and Cogeneration IPP procurement programmes that are expected to be launched imminently.
Our Energy team has considerable experience having advised on complex energy and infrastructure projects and wide ranging assignments. We advise governments, government departments and agencies, and private sector sponsors, lenders, contractors, project companies, utilities and consortia.
- Restructuring and deregulation;
- Planning, development, environmental and regulatory;
- Procurement, competition law, employment law, property/real estate law, social investment policies, black economic empowerment, governing law and dispute resolution, and health and safety;
- Negotiating project specific documents including concession agreements under public private partnerships, power purchase agreements for all types of generation schemes, operating and maintenance agreements, engineer, procure and construct contracts, interface agreements, technology, licensing agreements, connection agreements, distribution/transmission use of systems agreements and fuel supply agreements across the fuel supply spectrum;
- Acquisitions and disposals of assets and entities;
- Structuring complex joint ventures and project entities;
- Tax, exchange control and customs and excise; and
- Advising on the financing and refinancing of projects consisting of the negotiation of all financing agreements including security structures and instruments, and carbon trading matters.
- Awarded the inaugural Law Firm of the Year 2012 by the South African's Wind Energy Association (SAWEA)
- Energy Law Firm of the Year: Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards 2011 and 2012
- Public Procurement Law Firm of the Year – Africa: Finance Monthly Law Awards
- Chambers Global 2013–2014 ranks our Projects and Infrastructure practice in Band 2: Projects and Infrastructure. Chambers Global 2016 ranks our Projects and Infrastructure practice in Band 2: Projects and Energy.
- The IFLR1000 2010–2014 ranks us in Tier 3: Project Finance. The IFLR1000 2015 ranks Energy and Infrastructure: Disputes in Tier 3. Project Development in Tier 2, Corporate in Tier 3, Finance in Tier 2 and Project in Tier 2. The IFLR1000 2016 Energy and Infrastructure ranks us in Tier 2: Energy and Infrastructure.
- The Legal 500 EMEA series 2009–2013 recommends us as Tier 1 in Projects and Infrastructure.