Environmental law is a highly specialised field in which our Environmental lawyers are recognised as market leaders. Our Environmental team has proven skills and expertise in a wide range of environmental law issues.
Our Environmental law team has advised extensively on environmental compliance, health and safety, land use and heritage law. Our Environmental lawyers have considerable experience in ISO 14001 implementation, environmental impact assessments, environmental litigation and legislative drafting.
Our specialist environmental law services include:
- Compliance advice and programme development;
- Due diligence investigations;
- ISO 14001 accredited environmental management systems implementation;
- Environmental litigation;
- Environmental impact assessments;
- Legislative drafting;
- Contractual drafting of environmental clauses in commercial and project finance agreements;
- Environmental legal training on aspects of environmental law, health and safety law, mining law, waste management, pollution control, environmental impact assessments and climate change;
- Preparing and updating legal registers; and
- Customised electronic environmental compliance tools
- Advised Protea Holdings in a matter that involved the sale of all of the Protea Group's hotels in South Africa, Malawi, Tanzania and Nigeria. Terry ensured environmental legal compliance of each of the South African, Malawian and Niegerian hotels, and where there was non-compliance as well as developed plans for resolving that and ensured transfer of all environmental permits and licences where that was necessary.
- Advised Biotherm Energy (Pty) Ltd on the submission of various of its renewable energy projects in the South African government's Independent Power Producers Program. Ensuring bids were compliant and timeously submitted, resolving environmental legal queries and problems, assisting with the sale of one of its projects.
- Advising EnviroServ on all aspects of legal compliance, responding to enforcement notices, dealing with potential prosecutions and assisting in environmental aspects of commercial transactions.
- Assisting VTTI in obtaining all environmental authorisations necessary for the construction of the fuel storage facility, responding to objections from major fuel company (Chevron).
- Advised the City of Cape Town, as they have been trying for 13 years to establish a regional landfill site that will serve City residents for 30 years. We guided the EIA process and have assisted the City in resisting attacks on that process by people opposed to the construction of a landfill site near them.
- Advised ABSA, Standard Bank, Investec, Industrial Development Corporation, Nedbank and Development Bank of South Africa regarding the Ilangalethu CSP Project. The Project is one of the first Concentrated Solar Projects approved by the Department of Energy as part of the South African Independent Power Producers Program. Our environmental team assessed the Project's compliance with Environmental Law and the requirements of the South African Independent Power Producers Program and is assisting our client with contract negotiations to ensure the finance documents address sufficiently the Lenders' risk in respect of the Project's progress in complying with Environmental Law.
- Advised Tau-Nkwe Mining and Projects (Pty) Ltd (TOPIGSSA (Pty) Ltd) regarding the objection to Prospecting and Mining Right Application. TOPIGSSA (Pty) Ltd submitted a prospecting right application over a property owned and used by TOPIGSSA (Pty) Ltd to operate a pig genetics production facility. The sustainability and success of our client's operations are intrinsically linked to bio-security management at its facility which will be materially threatened by prospecting and mining activities. Our Environmental Team is assisting TOPIGSSA (Pty) Ltd with administrative proceedings to oppose any prospecting or mining right applications that may affect its pig genetics production facility.
- Advised Reneit Investments S.C.A. regarding the Jagersfontein Developments v Wheatfields Investments (Pty) Ltd matter. Reneit Investments S.C.A is a shareholder of Jagersfontein Developments (Pty) Ltd who conducts kimberlite tailings processing operations in Jagersfontein in the Free State ("Operations"). Our Environmental Team assisted with drafting the response to an application brought by Wheatfields Investments (Pty) Ltd and other applicants to interdict the Operations based upon an allegation that the Operations failed to, inter alia, comply with its licencing obligations under Environmental Law.
- Assting Platinum Group Metals RSA (Pty) Ltd to defend objections to environmental consents it holds under Environmental Law to construct a Tailings Storage Facilities and general advice on its operations compliance with environmental legislation.
- Chambers Global 2015 and 2016 ranks our Environmental practice in Band 1: Environment.