eSwatini's (Swaziland) economy
eSwatini's (Swaziland) real GDP growth is projected to recover modestly to 1.7% in 2019 and 2.3% in 2020, driven by supply-side developments. In 2019, agriculture is projected to fully recover from the drought.
- Represented Metier Capital Growth Fund II (Metier), one of South Africa's largest private equity funds. Our corporate/M&A team advised this client in the acquisition, through Retailability, of Edcon’s Legit business which has 215 stores across South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Namibia, Botswana and Zambia.
- Represented Middle Lusutfu Hydropower. Our projects & energy team is advising this client in the development, financing, construction and operation of the Lower Maguduza Hydro Power Scheme as well as the drafting and negotiation of the power purchase agreement to be concluded with the utility, Swaziland Electricity Company. The scheme is a circa 13.5MW hydro-electric generation facility to be located in Swaziland, with the Swaziland Electricity Company as the buyer.
- Advised Retailability Proprietary Limited on the acquisition of the business conducted under the "Legit" brand out of approximately 216 physical retail stores. (South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Namibia, Botswana and Zambia).
- Advised on the sale by Sun International of controlling interests in its assets in various African jurisdictions to Minor Hotel Group and of associated hotel management agreements (Zambia, Namibia, Swaziland, Lesotho and Botswana).
- Advised on the sale by Sun International of remaining interests in its assets in various African jurisdictions to Minor Hotel Group and of associated casino management agreements (Zambia, Namibia, Swaziland, Lesotho and Botswana).
- Advised the Keller Group (a major British based ground engineering company listed on the London Stock Exchange) in its R500 million acquisition of the geotechnical contracting business owned and operated by Esorfranki Construction in South Africa, Botswana, the DRC, Ghana, Lesotho, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles and Swaziland. Following the closing of the sale transaction, CDH advised on and implemented a BEE share scheme for the new operating company, Franki Geotechnical.
- Advised on the FedEx Corporation acquisition of the courier service business operated by Supaswift, a courier company associated with the JSE listed Bidvest Group, across seven Southern African countries including the establishment of purchasing entities in each country (South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Mozambique, Malawi and Swaziland).
- Advised African Distribution Network (Pty) Limited in acquisition of courier business in Swaziland.
- Acted for Total regarding the application of several HR and employee policies in South Africa, Swaziland, Namibia, Botswana and Lesotho.