South Africa's Economy
South Africa depends heavily on exports of mineral resources, commodity prices increased markedly in the second quarter of 2018. Real GDP growth is projected to increase to 1.7% in 2018/19 and 2.0% in 2019/20. The drought has improved in most provinces, and prospects in the agricultural sector are favourable.
- CDH was lead legal advisor to Eskom, in its role as buyer, National Transmission Company, distributor and system operator in the national roll-out of the Renewable Energy IPP Programme in South Africa, procured by the Department of Energy. This mandate is wide ranging and entails, inter alia, advising on the appropriate regulatory regime and inter-governmental issues, Power Purchase Agreements, Implementation Agreements, Independent Engineer Agreements, Connection Agreements, procurement of IPPs, technical issues and agreements on grid and system and respective renewable energy technologies (solar PV, CSP, wind, small hydro, biomass, biogas and landfill gas). This mandate also includes contract and claims management for Eskom's Single Buyer Office for the 94 renewable energy projects procured under the programme. As new projects are signed, this mandate is envisaged to eventually comprise 13,000 MW of projects.
- CDH was lead legal advisor to Eskom in its role as Buyer, NTC, Distributor and System Operator in the South African Baseload Coal Baseload IPP Procurement Programme.
- CDH was lead legal advisor to Eskom in its role as Buyer, NTC, Distributor and System Operator in the South African Co-generation IPP Procurement Programme
- CDH assisted a leading global project developer in responding to a number of requests for proposals across various jurisdictions (Morocco, Ghana, Namibia, Mauritius, Egypt, South Africa and Zambia), including reviewing and advising on the proposed power purchase agreements, implementation agreements and connection agreements issued.
- We acted for SAP regarding the application of several HR and employee policies in use in South Africa, Angola, Nigeria, Kenya, and Morocco.
- We acted for Total regarding the application of several HR and employee policies in South Africa, Swaziland, Namibia, Botswana and Lesotho.