Administrative and Public Law
Public law governs the relationship between individuals (private companies and citizens) and the state (government). Whenever a private or public body undertakes a public function or performs a public power, or whenever an organ of state engages with the public, public law is likely to apply.
Our Public Law specialists have extensive experience in many key areas of public law, including public procurement, public finance management, constitutional law, administrative law, municipal law, regulatory law, competition and health law. Our lawyers have in-depth knowledge and understanding of the broader legal and policy framework for decision making. We support public and private sector bodies in meeting and avoiding legal challenges in a complex legal and regulatory context. We assist in the application of administrative law to all levels of government. We understand the constitutional principles of government accountability and transparency, and a public procurement system which is fair, equitable, transparent, competitive and cost-effective.
- Advising on the Public Finance Management Act, Municipal Structures and the Municipal Systems Acts;
- Advising on tender procedures and legislative framework;
- Drafting and negotiating outsourcing and performance management agreements';
- Challenging irrational and unlawful administrative action
- Dealing with local authorities;
- Representing clients in proceedings before quasi-judicial bodies and parliamentary sub-committees;
- Furnishing opinions on constitutional, administrative and local government issues;
- Undertaking judicial reviews and litigation;
- Advising on property acquisition, development and management;
- Advising on company acquisitions and sales;
- Providing employment advice;
- Structuring public-private partnership transactions;
- Drafting and commenting on national, provincial and local government legislation;
- Lobbying/submissions to Parliament and all levels of government regarding legislative changes; and
- Accessing information from public bodies.