Corporate & Commercial

Our corporate/M&A and competition teams advised Distell on a two-stage acquisition of BGB from Jersey.

Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr represented Distell Group Limited, a global leader in the alcoholic beverage industry. Our corporate/M&A and competition teams advised Distell on a two-stage acquisition of Best Global Brands (BGB) from Hawksford Trustees (Jersey).

Hawksford was acting in its capacity as trustees of the Furlong and Octane Trusts, of which the respective beneficiaries are the Kieswetter and Bell families. In phase one of this transaction, Distell acquired 26 per cent of BGB, which owns, manufactures and distributes the fast-growing, mainstream Best spirit brand in countries throughout Africa. In phase two of the deal, Distell will acquire the remaining 74 per cent of BGB, by no earlier than the end of 2019, once certain operating hurdles are achieved and conditions precedent to closing are fulfilled or waived.